Thursday, July 11, 2013

Wingback Upholstered Chair-rescue


"...it’s not my fault that the universe 
WANTS ME TO HAVE THESE THINGS.
In fact?  It is OUTSIDE MY CONTROL."


I relate to this sentiment completely.  
For example, this chair...
I was minding my own business...happened to pull into a local thrift store....

and there...outside by the garbage...sat this beauty.  
No doubt our meeting was destined.
She is perfectly gorgeous.  Curves. Carvings. 
Even a down cushion!
She just needs a little refreshing...{right..?}
She needed to come home with me.
I happily paid the $5 to release her from her soon-to-be demise.
She now awaits her renovation in the garage...
(husband has yet to comment ...he must think that if he doesn't notice...she might go away.  
Along with all the "other stow-aways there.
I don't mention her either.  She is my "secret" mission.)
This will be my big summer project--how to renew this chair...
Do I paint the woodwork?
Do I distress it?  Do I leave it as is?
I have some ideas...
My inspiration:
I have been drawn to the Restoration Hardware deconstructed chairs
...and the gorgeous linen and nailhead wingback chairs like this one 
from Soft Surroundings.  The shapes are very similar.
Here is a burlap version painted in black with nailhead...
I think this one is my favorite.  I am really liking this one.
 
  I am just nervous to get started...
but by carefully removing each piece of the existing fabric, 
I should be able to recover, and renew this once magnificent heirloom piece.  
I will keep you posted!

Any suggestions are welcomed!
sharing at

Inspired Sunday at Sunday View 
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Before and After Party at Thrifty Decor Chic
The Scoop Party at Cedar Hill Ranch  

19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has beautiful lines...can't wait to see more of her!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I know...I love her curved outline.

      Delete
  3. Oooooohh, this is going to be so pretty! I just know it!! Your inspiration pics are lovely. Can't wait to see what you do! Happy Creating, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you comment! The inspiration photos help me think this is "do-able"! :o)

      Delete
  4. she's darling! love her shape--whatever you do, she will sparkle:) happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is fabulous, that's for sure! Love the tufting on the burlap chair. The black paint is beautiful too! Love that I've found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice note! I love your blog as well-new follower! {nice name}.-aimee

      Delete
  6. Such clever writingmand a beautiful chair! Yes, thrift store items and yard sale treasures call to me as well. I really MUST quit stopping in. I just feel that I am "saving" these "significant historical" items for ?????? :-) I vote for the black and burlap look too. Thank you for linking up with Sunday View.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Chair ! Cant wait how it turned out after you do TLC on it. I've got almost similar chair from Goodwill but still thinking what to do with it. Coming from rain on tin roof party !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I have a similar antique chair that I need to reupholster and paint. Nervous to get started myself. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to now wait until the kids are back in school so I can focus on the dis-assembly....thank you for your comment and encouragement! :o)

      Delete
  9. That is a good one to work your magic on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow, this is a beauty. I would be so scared to take this one on alone! cant wait to see the finished product!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful trasformation, chair looks stunning! and great fabric choice.Double TV Bed in Brown

    ReplyDelete
  12. #2 for sure - it looks soft, comfy, inviting, a chair you'd want to curl up in with an afghan and a book and a glass of wine near to hand. Before a fireplace. Must have a fireplace (with a fire, or candles and a mantel to fake it) somewhere nearby. And an ottoman for your feet. Please call me when it's done and I'll come over and take it for a test drive. #1 deconstructed chair looks icky, like it survived the bombing of Hamburg during WWII; #3 chair is pretty but looks hard and uncomfortable. Who wants to get a sore back, not to mention a sore butt, sitting in a chair? Just my take. Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making my day and leaving a comment! :o)