Monday, September 16, 2013

How to Stencil Furniture with Dark Wax

I love the faded look of worn details 
on furniture that has a past.
See how I got this look 
using a stencil and Annie Sloan chalk paint and dark wax.



My thriftstore find was a great side-table 
that had seen better days.
 
Here it is with a coat of AS Old White.
The drawer front got a "wash" of watered down paint
as I was at the bottom of my paint can.
  
I painted right over the hardware.
 I used just the dark wax to "burnish" 
the Old White into a nice worn brown.
After a light buff/sand you can see how a lot 
of the white is removed to look "worn off."
And that gave me an idea...
could the wax leave a detailed stained image that looked worn...?
I got out my stencil...
I pressed the dark wax into the stencil area.  
After letting that dry for a full 24 hours, 
I went back with a super fine sandpaper 
 
and sanded the whole area with the stencil wax. 
This removed a lot of the wax and brought 
the old white up from the background.
It also made the surface feel super silky smooth.
Here is the end result... :o)

This was a fun and easy transformation thanks to the AS products.
*{full disclosure--I did not receive any compensation for this post nor free product. 
I just happen to really like this paint brand and 
the results I get when using it different ways.}
Here's where I'm sharing:
sharing with:
Inspired Sunday at Sunday View 
Tablescaper-(sunday)
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
The Scoop Party at Cedar Hill Ranch  
Before and After Party at Thrifty Decor Chic


15 comments:

  1. Great idea! Why not use dark wax to make some visual interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! That's a good idea for a little change. Thanks for sharing! Stop by my Friday's Five Features tomorrow and link up this post (and others)! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I love the way this turned out, I can't wait to try a wax stencil, thanks so much!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been featured on Give On The Goods! You'll also be on my FB page today ;) Be sure to stop by and grab a button.
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie! Thank you for the feature on your blog! So excited! thanks for hosting a great party each week!-hugs, aimee

      Delete
  5. Wow I love how this turned out! I never would have thought to stencil with the wax, but it looks gorgeous! Pinning this, and thanks so much for sharing at my link party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie! Thanks for a great party link up each week!-aimee

      Delete
  6. I'm wondering how cutting in ASCP coco with the dark wax would add to the dimension of the stencil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! You should certainly try it out on a sample piece and see if you like the finish!

      Delete
  7. Did you go over the whole peice with clear wax at all?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you go over the whole peice with clear wax at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thank you for commenting! Yes, I did go over the whole piece with clear wax as well to seal the paint. And I used a fine sand paper to buff and finish out the wax for a smooth finish.

      Delete

Thank you for making my day and leaving a comment! :o)