Monday, August 12, 2013

Printed Burlap Cork Message Board How-to

If you are like me, I tend to collect little bits and pieces...
...photos, postcards, business cards...
It's nice to have a nice place to put these items.  
Something that says more "decor" than just an "office supply".
You can create you own stylish message board/cork board 
like this one with a few supplies.
{to see how, click read on below}

Here's how it started out--an old yucky thrift store find.
 I painted the frame with Old White Annie Sloan Chalk paint 
and used only the dark wax for a nice aged patina.
 Joanne's Fabrics had this very cute "Coffee" printed burlap, 
{so perfect for a kitchen!} 
I covered the cork by carefully tucking the burlap edges between the frame and cork 
{butter knife works great}, and adhered with hot glue every six inches.  
 Be careful not to use too much hot glue because it will get 
gunky and the burlap will actually stick to the glue gun, {or your fingers}.  
You are better off tucking the burlap in and then placing 
a small dab like "caulk" along the edge so it is undetected.
It could be 'done' at this point with just the burlap.  
But I wanted to go a step further and add another layer.
 
 I added grosgrain ribbon across the length and width of the board 
and secured at the cross sections with upholstery tacks.  
I tucked the ends under the frame and adhered with a little dab of glue.
The finished result is a stylish, upscale, up-cycled message board 
that you can use with or without pushpins. 

And the best part is you can style yours to match 
the decor for any room in your home. 
 I love using mine to display old vintage postcards...
over time, these message boards become works of art
 in and of themselves from what they hold.

I was featured at Sunday View
Sunday View
sharing with:
Inspired Sunday at Sunday View 
Tablescaper
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Before and After Party at Thrifty Decor Chic
The Scoop Party at Cedar Hill Ranch  


10 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love the ribbon. I'm actually in the middle of covering a bulletin board in my office with burlap. Perhaps I'll use your ribbon idea!

    Emily
    www.houseintheheights.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! Go for the ribbon! you won't regret it! :o)

      Delete
  2. Very cute! I just did a corkboard with fabric... I love the texture of your printed burlap, and the ribbon is the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that! I think it is so much fun what is happening with burlap these days. Who would think it once just used just in the garden....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the look of this! I made one with burlap printed with the Eiffel Tower and I love it. I didn't add ribbon, but I might go back and do that! Thanks for sharing this at TTF this week.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to upcycle an old cork board! WOW! Love what you did with this! I am going to feature you on Inspired Sunday at Sunday View!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great!

    Wonderful to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for hosting your great link party!-aimee

      Delete
  7. Thank you Allie! I will go for a visit! Thank you for stopping by!-aimee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making my day and leaving a comment! :o)