Thursday, June 20, 2013

Fun Glass Bead Magnet Craft


They are like m&m candies...or potato chips....
you can't have {make} just one. 
 They were one of the summer crafts 
I did with my daughters and we had a blast making them...
Glass Bead Magnets...
affordable, fun, useful and personalized.
  Read on for a "how-to" on this simple project...

There are several tutorials on the web...each a little different
...I will share my version here....

Gather your supplies:
  • Photo paper or images
  • Glass Beads (Dollar Store decorative glass pieces...the large size works great 1 inch diam.)
  • A non-yellowing Diamond Glaze type glue that dries clear and won't look cloudy.  Use this to adhere image to glass. (I used an old Stampin' Up! Crystal Effects glue-you can use anything that dries clear.)  
  • Magnets (Walmart sells.)
  • E600 glue (strong enough to hold magnets)
  • Modge Podge (to seal the back of image and protect from E6000 glue.)


Steps:
1. size and print out on photo paper images you want to use.
2. Use a 1 inch hole punch to punch out your images.
3. Use a non-yellowing glue to attach your images 
to the flat side of the glass piece.
Use a very thin layer...just enough glue to cover 
the flat back of the glass smoothly.  
I got the best results by pressing the image 
onto the glass piece to squeeze out any air pockets.  
You want it sealed flat to the glass.
4. Seal the back of the image lightly with a modge-podge 
and let dry thoroughly (a few hours).
5. Later, attach magnet with epoxy glue for a strong hold.  
Voila! 
You will want to use these everywhere they are so cute.
They also make great gifts in sets.
I used a metal decorative platter from Dollar Store to display.

Look for my post on the message boards we are creating ...especially for these magnets!

*And a quick shout out to Kim at Not Too Shabby for sharing her version with me!


8 comments:

  1. I love this idea! What a great tutorial! thank you so much for sharing this with us at TTF this week. I see a crafting day in my near future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute -- I love how everything gets magnified through the marbles. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I can see how you can't stop at making just one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So simple, yet so effective! They look like droplets of rain :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so pretty - very classy magnets! Thanks for linking up to Give Me the Goods Monday! Love having you party with us! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make sets of these all the time for gifts. Loved them! Great tutorial. I'm pinning.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have never guessed those are so easy to make, they look so fancy! Thanks for sharing - Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your magnets.
    We always craft on and with magnets at home. We use diefferent materials.
    I always order magnets and glue from www.magnet-shop.com.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making my day and leaving a comment! :o)