Monday, April 21, 2014

Door Knob Hanger How-to

Glass doorknobs...
{sigh}
I admit, I have a love affair with them...
 
There is something classic and elegant about them.
Maybe its the sparkle.....

*old door with key
 Or maybe it is how they remind me of a time 
when attention to details was a part of all homebuilding.
{source pinterest robomargo.com)

 On my list of ultimate house wishes would be for every door to have a glass knob...
 But, I have found a way to have my doorknobs in small ways.
We've been in the process of refreshing our master bath, 
and I did a post last year on a set of glass
doorknob hangers I used in place of a towel rack. 
These I had purchased. 
 But we need a few more to accent some other areas.
And they inspired me to make my own 
after I ran across a glass door-knob at a thrift store for about $5.

Using square molding pieces from Lowe's 
I asked my hubby to drill a few holes to set the knob in place.

 Make a diagonal "x" on the back so you can drill from the back to the front with a 5/8ths bit.

Using this bit later allows you to counter sink the all-thread and nut that holds the doorknob on.
 Drill through the front with a regular drill bit.
{this should be the same width as the all-thread you use to mount the knob.}
 We struggled with finding an all-thread that matched the thread of the doorknob,
but you only need a short piece.  So I bought a length of all-thread that could be cut and 
my hubby cut the right length by hand with a hack-saw.
Insert the all-thread in the doorknob, 
and then into the moulding and secure with a nut on the back.
{or just glue in place}
Add a sawtooth hanging mount on the back.
Add beautiful glass bling anywhere you need a place to hang something!

{More to come on the bathroom in a later post.}
sharing with:
Inspired Sunday at Sunday View 
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House


5 comments:

  1. Aimee...I just love glass doorknobs too and this is such a great way to display them and make them useful as well! Like you, I would love to them on every door. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute, aimee! hope your easter was great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so pretty! I love glass doorknobs! We had them in our house (on the bedroom doors) when I was growing up. I've loved them ever since. What a beautiful use for them! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I have been collecting old doorknobs and such for awhile and hope to redo my bathroom soon! Thank you for sharing at TTF last week. I have featured this post on Pinterest (http://www.pinterest.com/thriftygroove/), TTG FB page (https://www.facebook.com/thethriftygroove), Twitter (https://twitter.com/DiannH) and on G+ (https://plus.google.com/u/0/103188356492940862007/posts/p/pub). Lots of exposure! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old door knobs and the crystal ones are the icing on the cake! Love how you utilized this one. I put one on an old door and used it on my basement pantry. LOVE! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making my day and leaving a comment! :o)